Firefox PHP

Discussion listing

Posted by anthonil 
Discussion listing
April 12, 2008 11:44AM
Hello Forum,

with over 250'000 messages on our forum and some forums with over 30'000 posts and dozens of pages, I was wondering if there existed some module or program allowing to draw a list of all discussions ever posted in a given forum, a bit like a directory lister.

With thanks !
Re: Discussion listing
April 13, 2008 08:04PM
There's no such module or addon that I know of. You really would want a full listing on a single page? The whole reason of having it on multiple pages is to make that perform well and to keep a clean overview for the user. Having thousands of subjects on a single page is more something for processing by a computer than for processing by a human visitor if you'd ask me.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
April 14, 2008 02:21AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I do not wish to change anything on the active discussions which are better suited on multiple pages. But many topics started several years back are far down in history lane and having a listing (albeit a long one !) of all topics ever raised in a given forum would be useful to have, because we could point the readers to some older discussions they may wish to reactivate (discussions on similar topics are cyclical).
April 14, 2008 03:34AM
i think it would be easy to write a template that lists all thread-titles stored in the database. but as maurice mentioned, it will be unpossible to read it. perhaps you should look for something like a "similar topics" module (i don't think there is one yet).
April 14, 2008 04:58PM
I think thats not a template thing. you would still need to write a module that sets the list length to an "unlimited" (aka very high) number to get all threads retrieved from the db - which will be really slow!

Thomas Seifert
April 15, 2008 04:29AM
Thanks. I just wanted this to be able to remind users that there are threads worth revisiting and resuming, but I realise this is too complicated for the value it adds, hence will only point out manually to a few interesting ones.

With thanks for your support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login