Firefox PHP

I'm moving my phorum to another server, any tips or advice?

Posted by Mark Fresh 
I'm moving my phorum to another server, any tips or advice?
August 25, 2007 02:32PM
Hi

The server I run my phorum on is running out of space so I'm moving to a new server.

It the process for a successful move:
rsync the templates over to the new server
Close the original site
move the database over to the new server
change config.inc.php
?

Is there anything else I should be be aware of or watch out for?

thanks

sorry, after posting this message I found this thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2007 02:42PM by MarkFresh.
Re: I'm moving my phorum to another server, any tips or advice?
August 25, 2007 04:19PM
yes, sounds like the way to go.
but it also depends on your dns-configuration, e.g. how you switch the site over.

Thomas Seifert
August 25, 2007 07:43PM
for some reason all I get on the test site is a blank page

database has been updated, templates moved over, the Admin interface works

is there a way to make a message/report appear that tells me what's happening? I've looked at the error logs and there's nothing on there that would tell me.

added: before the config.php was edited the message came up says "cannot connect to database", after it was edited, a blank screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2007 07:53PM by MarkFresh.
August 25, 2007 10:01PM
MarkFresh
Hi

The server I run my phorum on is running out of space so I'm moving to a new server.

It the process for a successful move:
rsync the templates over to the new server
Close the original site
move the database over to the new server
change config.inc.php
?

Is there anything else I should be be aware of or watch out for?

thanks

sorry, after posting this message I found this thread

Don't waste your time trying to do something you haven't done in the past. If you mess up, you might be very dissapointed. Brian Moon, founder of Phorum, can do things right for only $150 (this customization service was one of the main reasons I started using Phorum, and then I discovered that Phorum is 100 times better than I thought) ... enough rambling, here is the link http://moonspot.net/phorum.php

Hope it helps!
August 26, 2007 03:03AM
check the settings of your cache-directory and if its writable for the webserver-user.

Thomas Seifert
August 26, 2007 06:31AM
cache-directory is set to 755 but still no luck. As the cache folder and its contents were so big I'm starting with a new empty cache folder.

I know what you're saying Danielus, it's just that I practised it twice before and it worked and so now it's just annoying. I'm going to have a try again later then drop Brian a line if there's still no joy.
August 26, 2007 06:38AM
did you check the settings for the cache-folder?
maybe you have a full-filesystem path there instead of a relative one.
if you've got the chance, check the php-error-log.

Thomas Seifert
August 26, 2007 06:42AM
Are you sure 755 is the required mode? Try 777 and see if that changes things. Only if the webserver is running under the same system account that you use to upload files, 755 would be okay.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
August 26, 2007 06:54AM
I've set the cache folder to the full system path and still nothing. 755 is what's required by my host "We do not allow scipts to run under 777 for reasons of security. Executable scripts should run under 711 or 755.".

For what it's worth I also have OpenAds running on this temp site and that seems to be working fine (i.e. I can log into the admin area but it's obviously not loggin hits)

I'm just trying to locate the php-error log now
August 26, 2007 07:35AM
the cache-folder isn't a script, its a folder ;).
but seems like your host runs some suexec environment.
without seeing something from error-logs its really just guessing.

Thomas Seifert
August 26, 2007 04:11PM
I´m having absolutely the same problem

migration, config.php reconfiguration, changed the cache path and permissions, and after it all, *BLANK SCREEN*
August 26, 2007 05:48PM
You see how many problems you have guys with moving a site to another server... and I am not even worrying. When I decide to move to another server, I will just pay... I rather pay for someone else to do it, because every time I mess up something, I mess up really big. Cheers!
August 27, 2007 03:38AM
unax, check the error-log from the webserver and php.

Thomas Seifert
August 28, 2007 04:59PM
ok, so this is the reply from my server support:

"Hello Mark,

That URL gives me a blank screen but the http status code is 200, which means that the script ran correctly (and produced at least some http headers) - it just didn't actually produce any output. There is nothing in the error log corresponding this.

It may be something in the script that expected a correspondence between its filesystem path and its path in URL-space which doesn't exist when you use a temporary URL; if this is the case, then it will probably just work when you use the proper URL."

So I looked for PHP error scripts and found this code that you place at the beginning (not at the end) of a PHP script from this site [www.julian-bez.de]

ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('html_errors',FALSE);
ini_set('error_log','/home/htdocs/pathto/html/error_log.txt');
ini_set('display_errors',FALSE);

which showed up a couple of module errors. I turned them off but the site still failed so I turned off all the modules and bingo! it worked. The problem was down to the Tidy Output module, no idea why but when I turned it off the site worked.

I hope this helps someone who's moving sites or doing something similar

thanks for the help everyone

Mark
July 09, 2008 11:48AM
try setting your cache path to /hermes/bosweb/web250/b2508/abc.username/public_html/cgi-bin/tmp/
* abc is the host short name and username was changed from my username (for security)
default settings on host acct cgi-bin/tmp should work, if not, change them as suggested. This worked for me. My cache directory was.. /hermes/bosweb/web250/b2508/abc.username/public_html/baddbloghome/cgi-bin/tmp/ (did not work)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login