Firefox PHP

Module: External Phorummail

Posted by Thomas Seifert 
Re: Module: External Phorummail
October 14, 2011 09:26AM
You are trying to run it with the cgi version of php. Could you ask your host for the path to the cli version?

Thomas Seifert
October 14, 2011 10:13AM
Great, that's working now. Thanks, Thomas.

John
October 15, 2011 03:32PM
And now another question: is there any reason why replies by email are imported as new threads instead of slotting in to the original thread?

Thanks,

John
October 15, 2011 03:35PM
Probably because either the mail-client doesn't add the in-reply-to header or the subject doesn't match.

Thomas Seifert
October 15, 2011 03:42PM
John Espirian
And now another question: is there any reason why replies by email are imported as new threads instead of slotting in to the original thread?

This is a once in a blue moon problem for us, and it is always because someone tampered with the subject line.

All other times it imports and gets attached to the proper thread.

Robert Angle
Phorum lover, nothing more.
Ruminations
October 19, 2011 12:13PM
Thanks, gents. Editing my language file to standardise the subject format means that posts are now correctly threaded.
November 03, 2011 07:20AM
Is there any way to ensure that en dashes (–) and em dashes (—) are imported correctly by External Phorumail?

Whenever I write these characters in an email and send the message off to my test mailing list, Phorum's imported message content contains a blank space where the dashes ought to be. The content of the email that arrives back from the mailing list contains the correct dashes – it's just the imported posts on the forum that have these blank spaces. Any ideas?

My forum is to be used by editors and proofreaders, who will expect to see en and em dash characters in their email-originated web posts.
November 09, 2011 04:38AM
Phorummail doesn't mangle the data. Is it working when posted through the forum itself? I guess it will be shown if the charset of the mail and phorum support them. Did you check the database for these posts to see whats in there?

Thomas Seifert
November 09, 2011 04:49AM
Thanks, Thomas. I've found out that these symbols don't seem to be preserved in plain-text messages, and that's obviously why they're not being imported correctly. Switching the HTML just for this is probably a bridge too far.

Is there any way that External Phorummail could alter the incoming data if I wanted it to? For example, could it strip a common prefix in the subject line of all messages? Or what about stripping a standard footer block?

As you can probably guess, I'm using a mailing list that automatically adds content to the subject and body of each message. I don't want to lose this content when messages go out to the mailing list but I also don't want that same content to be imported into each message on the forum – it's just a waste of space. Is there anything I can do about this?
November 09, 2011 04:50AM
Everything is possible, it just needs to be coded in ;-).

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login