Firefox PHP

Module: Banner Manager

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: Module: Banner Manager
June 20, 2008 07:29PM
Wow, that sounds like a bit too much honour, but thanks for the compliment!

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
June 21, 2008 12:28PM
This module is genius, it has loads of scope for some creative ideas.

rambro
I was wondering if I could see an example of this module in action, from a particular website?
rambro

(Very) early experiment here: [www.moviedeaths.com]
The "Bruce Lee" graphical link at the right of the forum header is generated by this module. I'll be adding dozens more as and when the site owners send me graphics, and they will be randomly shown. The beauty of this module is that it is very flexible in what you can output - and it is very easy to choose where in the Phorum template that output appears.

However, what I'd like to do is modify the module to show certain "banners" on particular dates, eg: an actor's birthday etc.
If and when I get this working I'll post my code for people to use if they want.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2008 12:29PM by sheik.
June 23, 2008 12:11AM
rambro
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could see an example of this module in action, from a particular website?

rambro

The forum I am working on is still very much in development, but you can see it in action here, with another set here and another set here. This also might show why I like the module so much.
June 24, 2008 09:19PM
I have modified this module to give the following functionality:
  • each banner may now have a start date and an end date
  • year information is optional, so you can have banners that run say, throughout August each year
  • date spans across December 31st are supported, so you can have a seasonal Christmas banner running from Christmas week into the New Year (again, without needing to specify a year)
  • multiple banners within the same period will be randomised between, so you could have dozens of random Christmas banners in the scenario above, or set up 24 ones each keyed to a day to create a forum "Advent Calendar".
  • two new options have been added to the current display options:
    • "Random banner, including date specific banners" (randomises between all normal banners and also ones which have a date range that spans the current date)
    • "Date specific banners only" (randomises ones between banners which have a date range defined that spans the current date)
Note, the original "Random" setting functions as before, and will not include any date-specific banners.

Maurice, how would you like me to release this code? I can post it here or send it to you for approval first. Please let me know.

Thanks,

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
June 24, 2008 09:25PM
Cool changes, thanks! I suggest that you upload your modified module in this thread. I will check the code and import the new code in our development repositories. I'll also wrap up a new package and upload that in the thread starter message here.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
June 24, 2008 09:39PM
Package uploaded for Maurice to take a look at.
Please note, info.txt, Changelog and README all contain warnings that the version has not been approved by the original author.

This version was also only written by me this evening, so you should probably not use it in a mission-critical site without testing! (that said, I'm using it in one of mine, and it seems OK).

/\dam

Edit Maurice: Removed the attachment. The code is now integrated in the module distro[/url]

--
My notable Phorum sites:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2008 12:36AM by Maurice Makaay.
June 26, 2008 01:32AM
This module allows to put banners in the bottom?
June 26, 2008 01:32AM
Top or bottom yes.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
July 07, 2008 12:28PM
Maurice, did you get a chance to evaluate my code for inclusion in the official module?

Cheers,

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
July 07, 2008 12:38PM
Not yet unfortunately :-( My days are filled with boss work for at least another month, with some very serious deadlines. I'm therefore mainly down to bugfixing at the moment for Phorum. I'll try to get around to it this week. I'm pretty sure that I will leave in the functionality, so don't worry about me rejecting that. I just might be doing some changes to, if needed, bring the code in line with the rest of the module.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login