Firefox PHP

Search issue with more than one word

Posted by Yoda 
Search issue with more than one word
March 10, 2017 06:45AM
Hello,

I just upgraded my phorum from 5.0.10 to 5.2.23 and moved the system to another server. The upgrade went well and everything seems to work fine except from the search. In the old phorum, I could type in several search terms and get a result. With the new installation, only a one word search returns a result, whereas more than one word doesn't bring any results at all. I tried several options like "match all words", "match any words", different time spans etc. and several search terms.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong there?

Thanks
Jay
Re: Search issue with more than one word
March 13, 2017 05:42AM
Hi Jay,

can you provide a link to your forum?

Regards
Oliver

Using Phorum since 7/2000: forum.langzeittest.de (actual version 5.2.23)
Modules "Made in Germany" for version 5.2: Author_as_Sender, CarCost, Close_Topic, Conceal_Message_Timestamp,
Format_Email, Index_Structure, Mailing_List, Pervasive_Forum, Spritmonitor, Terms_of_Service and German_Language_Files_Package.
March 13, 2017 11:13AM
Hi Oliver,

thanks for the reply.

Link to the old forum: [www.jbw-forum.de]
Link to the new forum: [www.jukebox-world.org]

In the old forum you need to click "Suche - Search" in the upper yellow bar to get to the search form.

As search terms you could try "wurlitzer niagara" in both forums.
The old forum brings a result for the terms in connection, the new forum only works with either "wurlitzer" or "niagara".

Regards,
Jay
March 15, 2017 03:45AM
Hi Jay,

search form seems ok.

Please try in the admin panel, Database Integrity, Rebuild search data.

Regards
Oliver

Modules "Made in Germany" for version 5.2: Author_as_Sender, CarCost, Close_Topic, Conceal_Message_Timestamp,
Format_Email, Index_Structure, Mailing_List, Pervasive_Forum, Spritmonitor, Terms_of_Service and German_Language_Files_Package.
March 16, 2017 04:01PM
Hi Oliver,

I performed the "search data rebuilt". Unfortunately, it is still not possible to search for more than one word.

After that, I tried some other rebuilt options and figured out that the functions "Rebuild thread info meta data" and "Rebuild display names" result in a blank page, so the script obviously gets interrupted somehow.

It seems to me that my database is not entirely correct. Something might have gone wrong during the upgrade or is missing. At least, the upgrade had to perform 77 database changes. However, no errors were thrown.

Any further ideas on how to tackle this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 04:07PM by Yoda.
March 17, 2017 04:36AM
Hi Jay,

Di you use full text search option (see /include/db/config.php)?

Phorum documentation
mysql_use_ft

This setting determines whether Phorum will use MySQL's full text algorithm for searching through postings. If enabled, searching will be much faster.

To be able to use this feature, the MySQL server that you are using must be version 4.0.18 or higher (should always be the case as MySQL 5 is a requirement) and the database user must be allowed to create temporary tables. If these requirements are not met, then you will have to disable this setting by assigning the value 0.

Does your database have the create temp table privilege?

Regards
Oliver

April 29, 2017 05:26AM
Hi Oliver,

thanks for your answer. The "full text search option" in the config file helped to fix the issue.

Regards
Jay
June 02, 2017 05:50AM
Hello again,

I just encountered a dramatic issue. With the full text search enabled ('mysql_use_ft' => '1') I can now search for more than one search item but every item has to have at least 4 characters. Unfortunately, in our forum people will mostly be looking for specific brands and a lot of them only have 3 characters.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thx in advance
Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 05:51AM by Yoda.
June 02, 2017 06:14AM
Hi Jay,

see: [www.electrictoolbox.com]

Regards
Oliver

June 02, 2017 06:52AM
Hi Oliver,
oh, sorry, didn't know this to be a general mysql setting.
Thx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login