Firefox PHP

Some character causing posts to cut off on our forum after we switch to UTF8

Posted by CBiLL 
Some character causing posts to cut off on our forum after we switch to UTF8
August 14, 2014 10:47AM
one two — three four
Re: Some character causing posts to cut off on our forum after we switch to UTF8
August 14, 2014 10:50AM
You would would notice the symbol look like a dash between the one two and the three four somehow is cutting off the remaining post after you try to save it on our forum.

Anything after the "—" get erased so if you post one two — three four then post it on our forum only one two will appear and the remaining get erased.

Any idea why this is happening on our forum?

Thank you

Bill
Re: Some character causing posts to cut off on our forum after we switch to UTF8
August 14, 2014 10:56AM
one two ® three four
August 14, 2014 10:58AM
Here another example that your forum here on Phorum.org are accepting characters like ® but ours removes it and anything after the character get removed along with it after we make a post on our forum.

on our forum after we post one two ® three four then only this will appear

one two

How do we troubleshoot to fix this?

Thank you

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 11:02AM by CBiLL.
August 14, 2014 11:08AM
How did you convert it, perhaps you missed a step?

a google search on ' convert mysql to utf8 ' without the quotes gives many ways to do it.

Depending on the size of your database, this may time out.
[www.inmotionhosting.com]

When I did mine, I dumped, modified the create table statement in the dump file, and then reloaded to an empty database.
August 14, 2014 11:15AM
Scott Finegan

a google search on ' convert mysql to utf8 ' without the quotes gives many ways to do it.

When I did mine, I dumped, modified the create table statement in the dump file, and then reloaded to an empty database.

We googled and found a script that converted it for us. Everything works on our forum unless you use a special character in your post then it get erased.

Bill
August 14, 2014 11:41AM
Scott Finegan

We ran that script on our test phorum and still same result, it erases anything after a special character like ©

What are we missing? Strange!

Bill
August 14, 2014 11:20PM
Looking over my forums and the output source, one thing I notice that my forum is not generating this mega tag something like

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

But I see it generate here on Phorum.org

Could that be my issue? How do I check to make it generate it ?

Bill
August 14, 2014 11:55PM
I managed to fix it.

I read in another post that lang file had a character set setting in it but my lang file was already at UTF-8

Then I remember I had a custom lang file in my module and saw it was set to the ISO so I changed it to UTF-8 and it working! (hopefully)

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 12:11AM by CBiLL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login