Firefox PHP

Trouble Installing

Posted by marcelarr 
Trouble Installing
February 01, 2008 07:12PM
I am working on installing Phorum on my GoDaddy account, so far, unsuccesfully. If someone has installed it succesfully, maybee you can give me tips on how you made it work. Im doing everything... changing all the information on the .php file and still... nothing.
Re: Trouble Installing
February 01, 2008 09:34PM
"still nothing"? Can you be more vague? =)

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
February 03, 2008 08:13AM
Sorry...

I get
The database connection failed. Please check your database configuration in include/db/config.php. If the configuration is okay, check if the database server is running.

Ive tripled checked myself and had someone else triple check the settings for me... but still nothing.

The funny thing is I tried to instal pHpBB forum, and it wont install either... and the people at GoDaddy told me they couldnt help me costumize my scripts because it wasnt their job...

Here are my settings if you would like to take a look:
'type' => 'mysql',
'name' => 'guateshirts',
'server' => 'p50mysql93.secureserver.net',
'user' => 'guateshirts',
'password' => 'xxx',
'table_prefix' => 'phorum',

Ive tried the chat room also, but the people there told me to go to GoDaddy for help...

So Im desperate and frustrated on Super Bowl Morning...
Help?!
February 03, 2008 10:27AM
Can you manually access the database with the phpmyadmin on the website (ie were phorum tables created)?
Does the user guateshirts have permissions to the phorum tables?
February 03, 2008 10:56AM
The people at GoDaddy should get off their lazy bums and help you out. They are the people who control the MySQL server. They should be able to tell you whether your connection parameters are correct. They do not have to help you *customize* your scripts. PHP support would be over the top, I agree on that. But they should help your *configure* your scripts, as long as the configuration touches their services (which is the case for the MySQL server). Nobody on this forum (except maybe other users who are hosting at GoDaddy) can guess what would be the correct parameters to use.

I really hope that somebody can help you out here. Unwilling hosting provider really irritate me =)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
February 03, 2008 11:18AM
Ok... here is the Little info I can Give you, since I am a newbie:
Yes I can acces the phpmyadmin but I have no idea how to see if the user guateshirts have permissions to the phorum tables. I feel so ignorant!
February 03, 2008 11:22AM
And yes!!! Mmakaay, I totaly agree with you. Unwilling hosting provider really irritate me also! Im glas Im all the way in Guatemala because I would otherwise willingly go and bite their heads off.

I only purchased the domain and the web hosting because I thought I was going to be able to install some kind of forum, because its essential to my page... and it turns out I cant.

Ughhh!
February 03, 2008 04:10PM
Well, can you see any phorum named tables in the guateshirts database (it will be in the drop down list on the left side of the main phpmyadmin screen).
for an example see: [www.rochester.edu]

If you select this database, you should see some tables with phorum in their name.
If you can see these, there are probably read/write permissions for your user.
Conection String???
February 03, 2008 04:01PM
Im still trying to install Phorum, unseccesfully on my GoDaddy Hosting Account... was wondering if it could have to do with conection string?

Does anyone know what conection string phorum uses?
ASP/AD?
ASP/ADO?
Re: Conection String???
February 03, 2008 05:01PM
Forget those connection strings. They have nothing to do with Phorum (or better: PHP in general). Those are needed when setting up connections using other systems than PHP. For PHP, you need host, user, password and database name. Those are incorporated in those connection strings that they gave you. Those should go in your config.php.

If this does not work for you, then GoDaddy should help you debugging the problem. It sounds like a problem at GoDaddy more and more. If they don't help you, then find a new host.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
February 03, 2008 05:16PM
marcelarr,

In phpmyadmin, click on the database you are trying to use, then click on the "Privileges" tab. Make sure the user you are specifying is listed there (with all privileges).

Hosts are typically like that, they dodge scripting issues as much as they can. Try to confirm that the server name is also correct. You should have a welcome email with all your details in it from GoDaddy; crosscheck your config file with that.
February 03, 2008 05:30PM
I got his login data and all seems okay. I can login using phpmyadmin and create a table using the database user that he configures. The server hostname is the same as what he is using in the config. To me, everything looks okay. Therefore I think the next step will be up to GoDaddy.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
February 03, 2008 06:53PM
You know what the most ironic part about all of this is?
I was going to install phpBB on my site, however, when looking for help in GoDaddy I found a link to the Phorum page, they have a whole section commited to helping Linux based cosumers set up Phorum on their sites!! Anyways... I fell in love with Phorum, its much nicer looking than phpBB. So I found Phorum thanks to GoDaddy, and now thanks to them as well, now I cant get it to work.

LOL.

Such is life in the tropics

By the way Maurice, Im a She.

And thanks for your patience!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2008 06:57PM by marcelarr.
February 03, 2008 08:25PM
Ok guys that cared enough to help me out, thought Id let you know.

I really need to include a forum in my site... so I decided to go with pHpBB or WP... guess what? Go Daddy system doesn't support WordPress installation using Windows, as a matter of fact, it doesnt support any other forum instalation using Windows... so the jokes on me...

Now I have to install Linux to get it going... although I think ill probably just change hosts... Care to suggest a good cheap one that will work with Phorum?
February 03, 2008 09:03PM
I think you are getting confused here... I can't think of any host that requires you to install Linux on your computer to run something ;)

Probably what they meant was that they don't have Windows on their servers. The only issue with installation here is the database connection; just try and get them to double check you are using the correct details. If this fails, a good place to look for a new host is WHT.

[www.webhostingtalk.com]
February 03, 2008 09:07PM
They require me to change my hosting account to one with Linux. Weather that means they require me to actualy install Linux or not they did not specify, I just asumed it.

They checked my settings and told me it was installed right, just that "Go Daddy system doesn't support the instalation of certain php scripts using Windows" and requiered me to change to Linux Web Hosting.

I know it sounds sooooo stupid... but thats what just happened.
February 03, 2008 10:16PM
Well, Phorum can run on Windows.. strange. I don't trust GoDaddy support as far as I can throw them but... If they allow you to switch to Linux hosting free of charge then I suggest you take that option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2008 10:17PM by TallyHo.
February 04, 2008 03:57AM
Yes, switch to Linux hosting. Although running Phorum on Windows should be perfectly possible (there are several users that I know of who do this without problems), GoDaddy's setup might be flaky / odd. And no need to install Linux on your own system for this. FTP will work the same way after you switched.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
February 04, 2008 09:43AM
I quote what they have to say about it:
Thank you for taking time to contact Online Support. I apologize for any earlier inconvenience or confusion. Please note that both forum applications you are attempting to use require PHP as a language on the account. As our Windows shared hosting accounts do not support PHP in any form, I would advise switching your account to a Linux hosting environment.

So... me bieng the computer idiot that I am, am wondering if I have to change my operating system to Linux or not?
February 04, 2008 10:23AM
Like I wrote above already: "And no need to install Linux on your own system for this. FTP will work the same way after you switched."

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
February 04, 2008 05:11PM
Interesting that they don't support PHP on their Windows accounts, yet he managed to get a database error. hmm
pat
February 04, 2008 05:17PM
TallyHo
[...]yet he managed to get a database error. hmm

marcelarr
By the way [...], Im a She.
February 04, 2008 09:52PM
my bad.
February 05, 2008 02:11PM
hey guys... thanks for all your help and patience!!

i finally succeded. had to go to go daddy and change my windows hosting for linux hosting... go figure... but now it finally works. so to all of you who may be having this problem... change your go daddy windows account to linux hosting. No, you dont need to make linux your op, just change it and its fixed!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login