Firefox PHP

System for embedding Phorum in other applications (early preview)

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: System for embedding Phorum in other applications (early preview)
February 24, 2006 08:30PM
> I think that my system is better when you want all Phorum features to work.

what phorum features do not work with my system?
every feature i have tested so far works with the exception of the PM system in 5.0.

these issues with 5.0 have been corrected however and it seems to work fine with 5.1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 09:21PM by rheo.
February 25, 2006 12:22AM
I think it's better if I came in the middle of this dicussion ;)

I can see the point where rheo is really heading, and I can also see it from Maurice perspective.
Both of you guys have your own ego, while rheo wanting some help to be implemented with his own way, Maurice doesn't want to help out because of he got his own believe about the right way to do integration and maybe kinda lazy ;) (I know as a programmer, I will state that my code can do anything, and try not to have some more extra work to code again)

Anyway, will you guys cut it out!?
I think what rheo can do, you can use the embed phorum, and put a hook on your own master application. What this hook will do, it will sync the data whenever your master application do the changes in your buddy db, and this will automatically sync with phorum. With this, you can get what you're looking for rheo. Basically this is what Maurice did for his embed_phorum, syncing user data, while prohibiting phorum to change it, but the master application will use the provided API created by maurice to easily sync the data when there is a changes in the master application data.

I can see your point about having a seamless inetgration rheo, but it will be hard to maintain. Most of the time, hook only allow you to modify the current data before it's being processed to the next level, so you won't be able to achieve it when the hook is before db access, because there is no way you want core changes just to make db access to be disabled, if you already provide the data. It will be nicer to have a hook after db access, to overide the whole data with your own. Whicever it is, it's all depend on your own needs.

None of you both have the best solution, because when we talk about integration, we need to know that both application is almost equal, and one way or another, one application need to invade the other application to have the integration. In Maurice case, he would prefer to have master application to invade phorum, while what you want is you want phorum to invade your master application.

So anyway, pardon me for interrupting. Let say this is just a commercial that accidentally interrupt in the middle of this long discussion ;)
February 25, 2006 03:40AM
if you say so...

i'll just try to post what i'm talking about here when i get it working...

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2006 12:15AM by rheo.
KJ
March 15, 2006 02:28PM
Hi, I am trying to embed Phorum in Mambo and i am getting an error:

Warning: PhorumConnector::get_user_id(./include/cache.php) [function.get-user-id]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ..\forum\mods\embed_phorum\connectors\mambo\connector.php on line 129

There is no include/cache.php in my phorum installation (version 5.0.21)...
After commenting of this include statement i am getting another errors, unexpected output and strange behavior of phorum.

Do you have some ideas why cache.php is missing?
March 15, 2006 02:30PM
I'm pretty sure that this mod only works with the 5.1-versions.

Thomas Seifert
KJ
March 15, 2006 02:34PM
thanks
March 17, 2006 11:36AM
Just wanted to mention, that I'm setting up a site with Joomla (Mambo descendant) and Phorum. It's working fine with the current Mambo Connector.

However I aim at evolving it to a complete Joomla Connector for the upcoming 1.1 Version will have a different API.
March 18, 2006 03:26AM
Maurice,

Ik heel mooi vinden (Ali Osram)
But anyways, whats the difference between this and the Phorum plugin I use e.g. for Amember? My registrants now use the Amember system to register & login, I just adapted them templates to make sure they dont register and change their pwords through Phorum and thats it. The rest is just template.

Being lazy here, 15 pages is too much for me this early.
Otherwise, if I didnt use Amember I would be using this.

Groetjes,

Sergej

------------------------------------------
^AU^ Assassins United
[www.assassinsunited.com]
------------------------------------------
March 26, 2006 02:26AM
I've got a notice of an undefined constant PHORUM_SESSION_LONG_TERM on line 112 in embed_phorum.php when I had a user logged in with an active session. Mod version 0.0.13.
Moved require_once("./include/users.php"); up a bit and out of the if block.
April 22, 2006 02:14PM
Maurice,

Now that I got your embed mods and embed template working nicely for my site.

I am wanting to know more about your project especially your embed template system.

What is the different between your embed template with the none embed template?
How would I convert a none embed template into embed template or vice versa?

Thanks

[opensourceCMS.com]
[ongetc.com]
Chanh Ong
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login