Firefox PHP

anyone wanting to write some templating-docs?

Posted by Thomas Seifert 
Re: anyone wanting to write some templating-docs?
October 10, 2005 07:27AM
no more changes (beside maybe some hooks in the forms) will be there.
changes to the system are all done by now.

Thomas Seifert
October 10, 2005 07:28AM
If you're talking about the hook stuff from the chat: that won't change the template system much. There just will be some extra hook entries in the forms, so module writers can extend the forms without having to hack the templates. There are currently no plans for doing larger changes in the template system (like the fallback system I talked about, to fallback to the default template if a .tpl-file does not exist in your template).
December 19, 2005 03:47PM
hi,

ts77
As you might know ... coders are bad documentation-writers ;).
So I would like to find someone who would volunteer to write some template-docs, i.e. which syntaxes we have there and maybe even which variables are available where.

I was just seeing your lines. And yes, I would love to do that. I already did that some times in different print-magazines and online-magazines (I am an editor, journalist), when I wrote some workshops about phorum (I think, you will surely remember those articles, published f.e. "Internetworld", "Homepage", "Com!", etc.). So, why not a workshop about this special template-theme how to "style" your own template? Would be cool.

Last week (and without knowing your lines here), I already came to the idea to bring a big list with all the commands of phorum. You should know, I am a little bit overview-freak and I also love to work with screenshoots. Examples are f.e. {NAME}, {DESCRIPTION}, etc..

I think, to create your own perfect template, you need anyhow a clear table about all these commands. So, if you want to make your custom template, then you need only to "feed" your template-files with the right one commands. The rest is only HTML. That's all. For beginners, it is just now too hard and too strong to make customized templates, because of such missinformations. Beginners must very often study the complete phorum-structure before they can really begin with their own templates. A clear documentation about the template-themes would be very helpful, I think so. And I would try to realize it.

Let me know it. I am looking forward for it. :-)

bye
irob
December 19, 2005 04:18PM
irob, thanks for your offer.

I think the best way would be to also add it to the (currently) simple wiki-page [phorum.org] .
Sure, you can start writing in your own format too, it would just be nice if we could make it available online either :).

Thomas Seifert
December 19, 2005 07:08PM
hi,

ts77
irob, thanks for your offer.
I think the best way would be to also add it to the (currently) simple wiki-page [phorum.org] .
Sure, you can start writing in your own format too, it would just be nice if we could make it available online either :).

ok, thank you very much. I'll keep you informed.

bye
irob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login