Firefox PHP

moderation feedback

Posted by bingalls 
moderation feedback
July 23, 2008 12:30PM
Am I misconphiguring some phine phorum pheatures?

Users will be confused, when posting messages, and nothing appears.

This happened to me, when I turned on moderation.
Some kind of instant feedback, that your message will not appear, until approved will hit the spot.
Note that the moderator does get quick emailed feedback.
Can this be done as a mod?

Thanks, Bruce
Re: moderation feedback
July 23, 2008 12:33PM
I am running v5.2.7
July 23, 2008 01:42PM
I think that the message is in the posting form. It might be an idea to add this kind of confirmation to the posting process though. I don't think any of the developers runs a moderated forum, so these kind of usability issues go unnoticed for us. Please, write up a ticket for this issue (under the menu item "development") for the Phorum trunk. That way, we won't lose track on this issue.

bingalls
Can this be done as a mod?

Sure. Such mod could prevent the standard redirect from happening by impementing the after_post hook (be sure to add a priority: line in the info.txt to make this hook the very last to run, so other after_post modules will still run). In that implementation, the code can be redirected to a confirmation page, which on its own redirects back to the read or list page (based on the redirect_after_post setting, which can be "read" or "list").

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
July 23, 2008 03:50PM
"This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator"

This line appears right under the buttons to Preview, Post, or Cancel.

You might want to change the background color so it is more visible.
(This line isn't show on the posting form for moderators or admins, since they don't need moderation)
July 23, 2008 07:53PM
This is a bit inelegant but adds an alert box to the post submit which can inform them of the moderation status. Save the following as ./mods/alert_moderated_users.php and enable it in the admin section. You can change the $alert_message to whatever you want the popup to say.
<?php

/* phorum module info
title: Alert Moderated Users
desc: Show a message to moderated users when they post to the forum telling them that their message will not appear until a moderator has approved it.
author: Azumandias
hook: 	before_footer|mod_alert_moderated_users_before_footer
url: http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/read.php?20,132102,132109#msg-132109
*/

function mod_alert_moderated_users_before_footer()
{
//This is the only section to change.  You can alter the alert message below to 
//better suit your forum.  Be sure to only change the text between the quotes. 
//You should keep the message in one line.  If you want to use quotes in the 
//message, be sure to escape them by adding a slash in front like this: \"

$alert_message = "Please note that your message will not appear in the forum until a moderator has approved it.";

//Do not change any other code.
	global $PHORUM;
	if (empty($PHORUM["DATA"]["MODERATED"])) return;

$js_content = "<script type=\"text/javascript\">\n".
	"function amp() {\n".
	"confirmation = alert('$alert_message');\n".
	"}\n".
	"x = document.getElementById(\"post-form\");\n".
	"x.onsubmit = function(){amp();}\n".
	"</script>";

print $js_content;

return;
}

?>

Joe Curia (aka Azumandias)
Modules: l0Admin Mass Email00000000l000000Automatic Time Zones000ll.l00000Enhanced Custom Profiles0.00Google Calendar0000l.l000000Post Previews
000000000Admin Security Suite000000000000Check Modules for Upgrades0000External Authentication000000Group Auto-Email00000.00000Private Message Alerts
000000000Attachment Download Counter0000Custom Attachment Icons000ll.ll00Favorite Forums000000.00000Highlighted Search Terms0000Self-Delete Posts Option
000000000Attachment Watermarks0l00000000Custom Language Database00l.l.0Forum Lockdown00000.00000Ignore Forums0000000000000Threaded Tree View
000000000Automatic Message Pruning00.llll.00Easy Color Scheme Manager0l.l00Forum Subscriptions0000lll000Moderated User Group
Templates:lGeneric Integration000000000 0000Simple Rounded000000 00000000Tabbed Emerald

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 09:52PM by Azumandias.
July 24, 2008 12:56PM
Wow, Azumandias - coding in record time. Tested grrreat!
I can dig the code monkey!

David, I appreciate what you are saying, but people don't always read everything on a web page.
When you click on a web site, and nothing happens, including a blank, or inappropriate page appearing, the conditioned response is:
  1. I did something wrong
  2. the web site is broken
Reminds me of a Hitchhiker's-Guide-To-The-Galaxy-style Don't press this button warning.
For all we know, pressing the button caused a tree in a remote forest to fall.
Or not.

For Neo-Phorumites reading this, Azumandias's code needs the following info.txt. Pay attention to matching file & function names, lest your code breaks!
title: Alert Moderated Users
desc: Show a message to moderated users when they post to the forum telling them that their message will not appear until a moderator has approved it.
version: 1.0
author: Azumandias
release_date: July 24, 2008
license: Phorum license

hook: 	before_footer|mod_alert_moderated_users_before_footer

I realize that Azumandias is following Phorum convention. However, for myself, I reformatted his comments to assume the Phorum license and I formatted the comments as PHP Doc, which still works.
I hope Phorum will migrate to more use of PHP Doc.
Thanks, Bruce
July 24, 2008 01:30PM
eh, what? no need to add a separate info.txt if its a single-file module as he wrote it.

Thomas Seifert
September 21, 2008 05:58AM
added right now to current svn. a message is given now before redirecting.
[trac.phorum.org]

Thomas Seifert
October 09, 2013 10:30AM
Hi, not sure if i should post in this thread. I have a question. When I have been moderated, should i let the person I was responding to that I've been moderated. I don't want to seem rude, the person knows I'm logged in and there isn't a response from me, but it is because i was moderated, so is it fine to indicate it?
Thanks.
October 09, 2013 02:36PM
well, thats a question for the forum where you are posting itself because its more a rule made up by administrators or moderators.

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login