Firefox PHP

language package with all language files?

Posted by zwerfkat 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Norsk_(Norwegian)-5.1.22.php 32.9 KB open | download rus bowden 06/13/2007 Read message
French_UTF-5.1.22.php 34.6 KB open | download rus bowden 06/13/2007 Read message
language package with all language files?
May 24, 2007 04:50AM
Is there a language package available with (most of) all supported languages? Or do I need to download and install all language files separately from this forum?
(Please, don't call me lazy ;-)
Re: language package with all language files?
May 24, 2007 05:21AM
Luie donder!

You'll have to download the separate files from this forum. Do you really need al those languages? Mind that not all of them are 100% up to date for the current stable release (at least that's what I suspect).

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
May 24, 2007 05:40AM
mmakaay
Luie donder!

Thanks for the compliment ;-) I would call it more "practical"...

Yes, my customer would like to have as much as languages as possible, because it is an international organization with subdivisions in about 48 countries...

So if anybody has several language files already installed, a zipped file of your /include/lang/ directory would be highly appreciated!
June 13, 2007 11:42PM
I'm in the midst of using Phorum to make multi-lingual, mix-media, and multi-media poetry, creative writing, music, and arts boards.

Attached are 2 language php files I had trouble with. The French would not display the special characters with the accent marks. The Norwegian was tricky for me, because I don't know PHP, and the available file would not convert. So, I ultimately used another langauge file, a converted one, copied all the Norwegian into it, and then converted that. Et voila!--(Or, however you say that in Norwegian).

The Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish were easy-peasy to either use as is, or convert over.

I'm having trouble with the Russian. I cannot get the Folder headings to read with the Russian characters I put in. Some character string is generated that seems to truncate letters--or whatever it does.

Anyway, here's the most developed board I have so far, the writing forums, in progress: [pochapocha.com]

Rus
Attachments:
open | download - Norsk_(Norwegian)-5.1.22.php (32.9 KB)
open | download - French_UTF-5.1.22.php (34.6 KB)
June 14, 2007 02:26AM
If you are mixing all those languages on one page (as you seem to be doing on your forum index), the sane thing to do to get characters right is use UTF-8 for all languages. There aren't UTF-8 versions of the language files available for all languages though. So you'd have to convert them yourself.

In this message I posted a short PHP script which I used for generating an UTF-8 german file. If you want to do full UTF-8 for all your forums, then that script might be a good start to get the languages converted.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
June 14, 2007 07:53PM
Thanks Maurice.

I would like to convert all of the language files to UTF-8 as you say. I downloaded german-utf8.zip. And I've spent some time trying to search the web on how to do things.

The problem is, I never ran script before. I don't know how. The coded instructions look easy enough to work with, as far as interchanging language files--if I only knew how to run it. Would you tell me, please?

Rus
June 15, 2007 02:51AM
You need to run this on the command line, using the PHP interpreter. I don't know if you have access to a command line though. It could also run inside a browser, but it would need some work to write out the converted language file, sice now it's simply printed on screen. This specific script would run on the command line as (# is the prompt, so it's not part of the command line):
# php convert_to_UTF8.php > german_utf8.php
The german.php must be in the same directory as the conversion script. Otherwise, you'd have to change the fopen() call.

Looking at the script, I see a problem. I used the utf8_encode() function. That function will only encode ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) to UTF-8. For translating other encodings, you would need the iconv() PHP function. See [www.php.net] for info on that function.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
June 15, 2007 09:13PM
Hi Maurice,

So far, the French and Russian are already in UTF-8. The Portuguese, English, Italian, and Spanish are in Western European. So . . .

I found this download, free with registration:

ZDNet: Character Set Converter (zip)

And so far, it has worked with the Spanish.

Rus
June 15, 2007 11:32PM
I place this in this forum, because the history of what I did to lead to the problem below, is above. I converted all the language files that were not UTF-8 to UTF-8, and now, for the forum index page I get this message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/babilu/include/lang/English-5.1.22.php:1) in /tmp/tpl-default-header-toplevel_stage2-1e2122a97463d2c14f97f8c7058189ef.php on line 5

Here's the site: [pochapocha.com]

I get similar message in each of the language folder pages and their forum pages, except the French and Spanish, which seem fine. I've been staring, comparing, and fiddling for a few hours, and cannot find the problem.

And an odd thing. If I click on a folder, I can go to that index page (e.g. [pochapocha.com]). But if I use the drop-down menu, it takes me to a different address, a list page (e.g. [pochapocha.com]) with only this message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/babilu/include/lang/Portuguese-5.1.22.php:1) in /hsphere/local/home/rusbowde/pochapocha.com/babilu/common.php on line 897

All this was working fine before I put the new language files in, and I am wondering what changed or what went wrong. Maybe tomorrow, I will build a new "dummy" forum site, to see if it goes up clean. I am wondering if I changed files too often or not in the right way; or if the UTF-8 conversions effected something in the files.
June 16, 2007 12:58AM
I figured it out. I didn't have the right settings on that Character Set Converter I downloaded from ZDNet. This is working out.

I hadn't realized, that the reason I was getting funky characters in Français in the drop down, and then for Russian in the Folder title, was that I was putting in UTF-8 characters, but the page had been defaulting to Western European. Once I put in the UTF-8 langauge files, then "ç" in "Français" appeared correctly, because the character and the page were now both UTF-8. What I did not realize, was I could have changed the page to Western European before to solve that part of the problem--yet without the standardizing that I am glad to be doing now, at the genesis of the forums.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login