Firefox PHP

Banner Manager Module

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
screenshots.zip 47.5 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 03/29/2006 Read message
banner_manager-1.0.1.tar.gz 6.3 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 03/29/2006 Read message
banner_manager-1.0.1.zip 11.5 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 03/29/2006 Read message
Banner Manager Module
March 29, 2006 01:02AM
This module makes it possible to display arbitrairy blocks of HTML/PHP code in Phorum pages. Multiple blocks can be defined and you can configure what block to show on what page. The system was designed for adding banners from a banner server to Phorum (it was tested against a locally installed phpAdsNew ad server), but with some fantasy other things are possible too (like adding simple banners to your pages if you don't need all the bells and statistical whistles of a full fledges banner system or adding a customized page header or stylesheet per forum).

The mod comes with an easy to use settings panel. See the screenshots.zip for an overview of the settings panel usage.

Install:
--------

- Unpack the archive;

- Move the directory "banner_manager" to the directory "mods"
  within your Phorum installation;

- Login as administrator in Phorum's administrative interface and
  go to the "Modules" section;

- Enable the module "Banner Manager";

- After this, go to the module's settings screen to configure
  banner blocks to display and on what pages to display them.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2006 12:51PM by mmakaay.
Attachments:
open | download - screenshots.zip (47.5 KB)
open | download - banner_manager-1.0.1.tar.gz (6.3 KB)
open | download - banner_manager-1.0.1.zip (11.5 KB)
Re: Banner Manager Module
April 11, 2006 12:19AM
Maurice, this is an awesome mod!

One small question - if i would like to put two banners on the same page, is that possible? (i put ordinary, commercial banners on top of each forum page and a google banner at the bottom of each page today)
April 11, 2006 02:18AM
What's not in the settings panel is not what you get ;) There's no support in the code to display banners at multiple spots in the page. You can add multiple banners by simply defining multiple banners in the banner definition block, but then they will either appear on top or at the bottom of the page.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
April 11, 2006 11:17AM
I guess I could modify the code to make it possible to run two banner managers at the same time. That would work good enough for me, I'll have a look at that solution.

Anyways, thanks for a great module!
August 03, 2006 12:40PM
Me likes and loves you long time.

Sergej

------------------------------------------
^AU^ Assassins United
[www.assassinsunited.com]
------------------------------------------
October 20, 2007 09:23PM
I installed this module and I like it a lot.

One thing I don't like, however, is that Google Adsense banners shift and display on top of messages when users print.

Here's a quick example, in case you don't know what I'm talking about. Go here:
[www.mgexperience.net]
and then select "print preview" in your browser toolbar. (The Google banner ad should appear between messages in the thread, but instead it appears superimposed over top the messages.)

There must be many ways to fix this... on my new forum I set up an external stylesheet for media="print", and in the CSS file I added a line that reads .AdBanner {display:none;}....... Obviously, I also added class="AdBanner" in the appropriate places in read.tpl and list.tpl

Anyway, I thought I'd post a note here in case anyone else wants to zap or control Google banners in printed output.
Using Banner Manager for social bookmarking / web 2.0
November 16, 2007 06:06PM
I would like to use the Banner Manager as a way of letting my forum members bookmark the current topic on social bookmark sites, by inserting the necessary code.

(I assume that enabling bookmarking for a specific posting would not be do-able - at least not this way.)

Having read the docs I still feel very unclear about how to access the variables and whether it is best done via PHP or what.

The variables needed are:

a) url to the current topic
b) title of current topic.

the code on the page would need to output something like:

<a href=http://digg.com/submit?phase=3&url=URL-OF-CURRENT-TOPIC&title=TITLE-OF-CURRENT-TOPIC>Digg</a>

Help would be very much appreciated and probably very useful to more than just myself.

Thanx for creating Banner Manager!

William
Re: Using Banner Manager for social bookmarking / web 2.0
November 16, 2007 08:43PM
I don't think the banner manager really matches that need. It would be more something for a separate module that uses for example an after_header hook for displaying the links. You can probably do this from the banner module as well, but it is a bit overkill for getting the stuff up there.

Things that are interesting are:

phorum_page: a define that tells you on what page you are (e.g. "list" or "read")
$PHORUM["DATA"]: the array that contains all Phorum template data.

If you put the following code in a PHP block, it will print all available variables on screen. Maybe you can use that as a starting point:
global $PHORUM;
print_r($PHORUM["DATA"]);

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login