Ignore User module

Posted by arlo 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
ignore.zip 3 KB open | download arlo 05/05/2005 Read message
mod_ignore_screenshot.jpg 43.1 KB open | download arlo 05/05/2005 Read message
Ignore User module
May 05, 2005 08:16AM
This module allows the user to ignore the posts of other users. It uses some DHTML to toggle the viewing of ignored posts without having to refresh the page.

Demo: [www.alouie.com]
=====
You'll need to register for an account and log in to see the module in action. Screenshot to follow in my post below.

from readme.txt:

Ignore user module - installation instructions
==============================================

1. Copy the "ignore" directory into the Phorum mods directory

2. IMPORTANT STEP:
Phorum Admin -> Custom Profiles -> add a profile field called mod_ignore

3. Phorum Admin -> Modules -> Turn on the ignore user mod

4. Make two changes to your read.tpl template file:

a) Add the following at the top of the file:

{IF MOD_IGNORE_JAVASCRIPT}{MOD_IGNORE_JAVASCRIPT}{/IF}

b) Before the </div> at the end of the "Postedby" line, insert:

{IF MESSAGES->mod_ignore_url} [<a href="{MESSAGES->mod_ignore_url}"><font size=-2>{MESSAGES->m
od_ignore_text}</font></a>]{/IF}
Attachments:
open | download - ignore.zip (3 KB)
Re: Ignore User module
May 05, 2005 08:20AM
Screenshot attached. Both arlo and ts77 are being ignored, and their message bodies are hidden by default. We've clicked on the show/hide link for ts77's message, and so we can view it while still keeping him on our ignore list.

May 05, 2005 09:14PM

nice!
May 06, 2005 04:41AM
Thanks. btw, I wish I'd have used "ignore msgs from this user" instead of the slightly ambiguous "hide msgs from this user". You can change the text by editing the language file (ignore/lang/english.php).
May 11, 2005 04:52AM

i'm wondering if instead of in read.tpl we could put the function on their profile page maybe?

if so what would i link to accomplish this?
May 11, 2005 03:07PM
You'd need to rewrite parts of the module to hook into the profile page instead of the read page (it's not too difficult if you can follow how things work in ignore.php). At the moment, it assumes that read.php is being used to receive the ignore/unignore requests.

I might be able to write a version for the profile page in a week or so. Kinda busy right now. This would be a good exercise for anyone who wants to learn more about module writing.
May 11, 2005 07:56PM

perhaps i will make it a little icon instead.

i just think that the "ignore posts from this user" takes up alot of space for something that isn't used very much.
June 07, 2005 12:50PM

have you had a chance to see what would be involved in moving this to the user profile page or something instead?

what would be ideal is if it didn't really matter what page we put the link on as long as it had a valid userid.

Nice module.
October 31, 2005 04:57PM
module doesn't work in threaded view

regards Peter
November 01, 2005 10:03AM
It works in threaded view but with a few changes,

[<a href="{MESSAGE->mod_ignore_url}"><font size=-2>{MESSAGE->mod_ignore_text}</font></a>]

regards Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login