Firefox PHP

Spam Hurdles Module (CAPTCHA's and other anti-spam tools)

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: Spam Hurdles Module (CAPTCHA's and other anti-spam tools)
October 04, 2006 05:43AM
My guess then is that you added {HOOK tpl_editor_before_textarea} to the pm_post.tpl template file. Try modifying mods/spamhurdles/spamhurdles.php (by adding the green code below):
353  // Add data to the message posting form.
354  function phorum_mod_spamhurdles_tpl_editor_before_textarea()
355  {
356      if (phorum_page != "post" && phorum_page != "read") return;
358      global $PHORUM;

If this solves your problem, then I will add it to the next release of the mod.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
October 04, 2006 07:15AM
I did the change. really hope it works :) can't say by now as I still don't know what triggered the error ;)

thanks

Net.
October 04, 2006 07:26AM
No matter what triggered the error exactly, it's an error that is generated inside the code for that template hook. This change will prevent that hook from running on the PM pages. I read over it again and am quite sure that this is your fix (if you can confirm that you indeed added that hook to your pm_post.tpl) and will include it in the next version.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 04, 2006 07:34AM
yes I think I did add that hook. although I by now don't know why. I think it was suggested one time or the other.

a short question offtopic: where (and possibly how) would I have to add a hook which would be 'after_delete' or _before_delete' of a message or a whole topic? surely not in the templates? (if question needs a longer answer, just tell me, mail me, PM me or make me open a thread in the correct board ;) )

greets,

Netwalker.
October 04, 2006 07:56AM
There's already the hook "delete", which is called after deleting messages from the database. This hook is called from moderation.php in case one or more messages are deleted.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 04, 2006 09:35AM
Sorry, I've just been frustrated, seeing that >200 msgs appeared there for one night or so.

mmakaay
Do you have problems running the module

no, the module is running, the picture is shown. I've fixed imagegif() with imagejpeg(), because my sysadmins told me that GD 4.2 doesn't have a gif support, and that's why I've seen a broken captcha image after installing spamhurdles mod.

mmakaay
what are your settings

My settings is standard except for image captcha is turned on, not JavaScript.

mmakaay
are those 200 posts coming through after installing and running spamhurdles

yes

mmakaay
did you run earlier versions of spamhurdles too or is this the first one

I've installed spamhurdless 1.0.6 and tried to use it with a JScript captcha, there was no effect, then I've just rewrited it with 1.0.7 and turn on the image captcha, and no effect also.

mmakaay
if you enabled the captcha then do you see the captcha when posting

of course

mmakaay
if you enabled the option to block too quickly posted messages

not enabled

I've mentioned that spam msgs were added even when I've been changing the JScript to image captcha, and image captcha didn't work because of imagegif() function, but I can't tell exactly if it weren't in the same moment when I change imagegif() to imagejpeg() function.

Thanks.
October 04, 2006 10:00AM

I've mentioned that spam msgs were added even when I've been changing the JScript to image captcha, and image captcha didn't work because of imagegif() function

Yes, that is why Thomas and I went through the code to try to find a possible reason for spambots getting past this module. We found one possible problem which was fixed in 1.0.7. I don't know what else could cause problems.

You say that you don't have the too quick post check enabled. So apparently you are not using the default settings after all, since that check is enabled for all users by default. Please, tell us your exact combination of settings so we can track the code with that specific set of options in mind. In the meanwhile, see if enabling the too quick post check helps in preventing spam.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 04, 2006 11:05AM
Maurice, see this link:

[www.agranovsky.ru]

This is our poor phorum. Today morning I've changed imagejpeg() to imagegif() again, so the CAPTCHA image wiil be broken, I decided to see if spam can be posted. You see now that spam is posted, the time of msgs is different, and the captcha image is broken, so they even doesn't try to OCR the image, they post another way.
Re: Spam Hurdles Module (CAPTCHA's and other ant i-spam tools)
October 04, 2006 12:25PM
Hi

I hope this is the right forum to ask in.

I have a problem with the Spam Hurdles Module, namely that with it turned on i can not get any new users past the registration. I have tried a number of times with a dummy user under all the CAPTCHA schemes without any luck.

I run phorum 5.1.16a and spam hurdles 1.0.7

Spam hurdles has default settings without regard to the CAPTCHA schemes that has been tried.

Does any one know what my problem is?

Cheers
Jens
October 04, 2006 06:41PM
martin72
You see now that spam is posted

I see that, but I'm unable to post a message myself there. I really do not know how bots would circumvent the captcha, especially in case the captcha image is totally broken. What would be interesting is seeing what data is posted for the spam messages. That would require some logging of the $_POST array.

I hacked up a module for this, which I attached to this message. Please install the module by uploading it to the mods directory and enable the module. Then wait for some spam to hit your forum. After that mail me (maurice at phorum dot org) the file postdata.log which will be written in your Phorum cache dir (e.g. /tmp/postdata.log). Maybe I can find out something by analyzing that log. Do not forget to disable the mod afterwards, because it will write data for each message that is posted.

Jens
i can not get any new users past the registration

I checked the registration process on my development server at [phorum-dev.gitaar.net] and there the registration process is successful. Are you using the Phorum default template or some other template? Just a wild guess, but maybe there's something missing in that field.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2006 05:10AM by mmakaay.
Attachments:
open | download - log_postdata.php (802 bytes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login